How to sort a RAF strap quickly and make it more user friendly?

"A high-quality strap is one of the most important components of an exceptional wristwatch. It’s a quintessential part of the modern wristwatch and not something that should be left as an afterthought." from the Tudor website Nov 24, 2022



Simple ways I have found to do a faster break in for your ribbed nylon and make any RAF more user friendly?


I'm a big fan of the ribbed nylon.  But I have yet to find any fabric perfect for my own use.  Here are a couple of things I have been doing that you might find interesting or even useful. The first one is when new the nylon, seemingly any nylon, is stiffer than it could be after some use. I have no patience, so I spray mine with rubbing alcohol on my first wear. I used to just wash them by hand with dish washing soap, but the water takes longer to dry and I don't think it gets the nylon as soft as it could be with just one wash.  If I were to guess from my own experience, I bet the alcohol softens them faster (dissolving something may be? who knows...) and dries faster on my wrist. As they dry the ribbed straps then mold to my wrist better and surprisingly to the watch bars and case a good bit as well. After that, "the witness
marks" make it easy to get the buckle located properly and placed directly in the middle of my wrist which has become a new position for me and more comfortable.  


One of the things that will make the ribbed nylon stiff is salt from sweat or simply dirt. Get enough of either in your strap and plan on the nylon literally cutting your wrist.  Not good or comfortable.    I treat my straps just as I would my watch after a saltwater swim.  I rinse the strap and watch in clean water at the minimum.  Better yet a little soap and warm water will keep your strap soft and flexiable.


FWIW, I have generally worn the buckle on the thumb side of my wrist.  But I've found the center position on my wrist more comfortable and a bit more out of the way.  YMMV of course.  Just my own observations. 


Another detail I find very useful. Odd as it is.


I hate trying to find the same hole on a RAF strap to make it a perfect fit. I now use a metallic silver colored Sharpie to mark the two or sometimes three holes I use a lot. Makes things simple and no distractions when first putting on the watch or adjusting it during the day as my wrist changes sizes. Making my life less annoyed ;-) The secrets of a RAF strap? LOL


I hope you enjoy whatever strap you are wearing and my comments help a bit, "getting it done". 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Products and payment?

The "Go-To" strap?

What we do and why?